Red Rice Risotto
If you are trying to incorporate more whole grains into your diet this red rice dish is a delicious and hearty meal. Red rice is also known as “weedy rice”, as it sometimes grows as a weed in commercial rice fields. Its fiber and protein content make it a great addition to any meal.
- 1 cup red rice
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup porcini (or any variety you like) mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups mushroom broth (veggie is fine also)
- a couple hearty handfuls of spinach
- olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Soak rice in cold water for a few hours before cooking. (If you don’t have time, give it a good rinse and proceed).
- Coat a large pot with olive oil and place over medium high heat. Add onion, season with salt & pepper and cook until translucent, about one minute. Add garlic and cook for another minute, until soft.
- Add mushrooms, season and cook for about three minutes until soft and slightly browned.
- Add rice and let cook for about a minute, stirring throughout to mix.
- Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the water is absorbed (you don’t want the risotto totally dry at this point). Add spinach, mix to combine and remove from heat. Cover for about three minutes.
- Uncover, fluff with fork, season with salt, pepper and cheese to your liking. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of GOOP.com
- Professional Medical